Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The new toy


Traveling all the time as I do, it is sometimes difficult to stay connected to the world. I do get tons of free copies of the USATODAY (I've never bought one), but I need more. I have carried an older laptop with me in the past, but that one is dead. It was also heavy and cumbersome, and more of a pain than it was worth. For the past year I've carried a small PDA with wifi. Surprisingly I was able to do quite a bit more than you might expect from such a small device.

Recently, however, my job has brought a new requirement. All of our training is being moved to an online format, requiring a little more than a PDA has to offer. I still didn't want to carry a big laptop around, but I needed the performance of a normal computer for web access and online training seminars. Enter the Dell Inspiron Mini-9, I'm typing with the tiny keyboard as we speak. I've been playing with mini for 5 days now, and I'm impressed. For what I need, its perfect, and perfectly sized. And it was the same price as that used beat up old laptop I had before. Now if I can keep it away from the wife and kids...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah.... um... good luck with that! ;)

Nick Burton said...

I opted for the smaller laptop myself. Seems like most people are all about the big monitors, but I think the portability is worth the trade-off.